Tuesday, November 21, 2006



Yesterday I did one of the hardest things I have done in my life. I watched someone drive away with my two most beloved horses. I didn't expect it to be easy, but I never expected it to be this hard. It felt like my heart was being torn in two.

The decision to sell them was made about a month ago when we decided to sell our house. To board them would cost about $750. a month and it just didn't make any sense to keep them. So I advertised them. A young girl and boy came from Quadra Island the other day to look at them. We rode in the pouring rain which was horrible and beautiful at the same time. It was to be my last ride. They said they would take them. I then found out that they are going to a Christian Camp. The camp is amazing. They have 235 acres and they are right on the ocean. I was invited to come out to ride and see them anytime.

I was so happy that they were going to such a wonderful home. When I first went to this Arabian farm by Saskatoon where all my horses have come from, the owner told me that he did not sell horses, but ran an adoption center. I kow what he means. You cannot own a horse for 14 years and then just sell her. I can't anyway.

So yesterday they came and took them to their new home. I cried. I sobbed my heart out as I watched them leave the yard and I felt so incredibly empty. If anyone were to ask me who I was in 10 words or less, I would say 'christian wife, mother and horse lady. I was no longer the horse lady. I don't own any horses anymore. I am not sure how I can function with such a huge part of my life gone. I can't grasp the concept of not feeding my horses every day, I'm not going to go and get hay anymore and worst, I am not going to ever go outside and have Mattanah call to me to say hi or I'm hungry or my waters empty or just hi here I am.

I am glad that today I am leaving this place. Everywhere I go here, and everything I do and everything I think is met with the silence of an empty pasture. I can't bear to be here any longer. Yesterday was also my 13th anniversary.

15 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!!

My heart goes out to you in letting your horses go. I definately know the feeling of emptiness when you get rid of an animal, even when you know they are going to a great new place.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Aunty Mitz. I'm sending you a big hug.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know why, but reading this brought tears to my eyes. Maybe just because I can just imagine how I would feel if I were you. Even if you don't have horses, you'll always be a horse lady, because they're always a part of you. It's good that they're going to a great home, and that you can visit them whenever you want.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Carrie, you're still a horse lady. I'm sorry this was such a miserable thing for you, and I'm sad they're gone too, but looking forward to making some new memories with horses too, it's not like that part of our lives are done forever. Not by a long shot. Love you, see you tomorrow.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Happy belated Anniverary!!

I too am sorry for your loss. It is hard to get rid of a pet. Especially when you have had them for a long time. Glad for you that you can go see them anytime you want. It will help. That's how I felt when CIndi moved, Like I was no longer a grandma. I felt like that until we went to visit. So go visit often. Also sending you a hug. Love you lots

4:57 AM  
Blogger Trav said...

i'm sorry too for your loss auntie mitz...

mom... you're comparing cindi and chloe to a pet??? i figured maybe you were talking about shiloh... but that was definately a surprise twist ending

5:12 AM  
Blogger Abe&Maggie said...

Happy Anniversary Mitz and Ken. Sorry to hear you had such a sad experience on your anniversary. I must admit that I have never felt that way about an animal. Hope you get a chance to go see them some time.
Our anniversary is comming up next Wednesday. We're only seven years ahead of you.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

How's the new house? Are you all moved in? Talk to you soon

12:59 PM  
Blogger John said...

Happy Anniversary to you both. God bless you guys. At least they welcomed you to the horses new home. Go as often as you can. Very sorry for you that you had to sell them.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom, I keep checking, and keep being sad every time I read this. How about some pictures of the new place, and what a great job we did painting?

10:05 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

ya! I'd love to see the "After" pictures.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

OK Mitz, What are you up to? You said your oven wasn't working so you must not be busy baking. You got a new washer and dryer so it can't be laundry. You have no pets so it can't be chores. No kid's at home so you not running around picking up after people. Sooo it must be Ken. You guys are having to much fun being empty nesters. Give us some time and do a post. I want to see pictures of you guys, little Luke, and your newly painted house. And anything else you might want to share.
Waiting with anticipation.

4:15 AM  
Blogger footsack said...

NEW POST COMING SOON

10:11 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

whoa ... sorry I missed this one ... bubye horseys! Im sure they will be in a good home, unless Im late and they already are ...

Happy belated Anniversary!! xoxo

- Here I am checking everyone's blog, and of course I saved yours for last. I will check back later!

Miss you!
Feliz Navidad!

1:42 PM  
Blogger brittany said...

hello aunty mitz, your horses are so beautiful and i wish we could've gone riding together but thats ok, hope to see you soon love brittany

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home