Friday, November 17, 2006

The Storm and Our New House

For and of you who watch the news, you must have seen that we were hit with a very bad storm. We didn't really get a lot of damage compared to a lot of people but it was bad enough. This is my poor plum tree. The wind just took it down. If I still owned this house, I would be devasted. Every spring that tree is loaded full of pink blossoms. It was so beautiful and now it's dead. This is theGrafton Ave that runs behind our house. This is the morning after when all the trees had been taken off the road already. Reagan and Carlie live about 15 minutes away from us and they of course were out of power so Reagan tries to go and get her in the middle of the storm. It took him over an hour to get through because of all the trees on the road. Luckily someone had called a friend with a chain saw and he came and went ahead and cut them out.
My fence or what is left of it.
This is our new house. Blue again. Much smaller as you can see but it has a garage which is a bonus.
This is the family room but we are going to use it as the dining room. Notice the lovely wallpaper. Today I start the tedious task of ripping that all off and as you can see it goes over the wall and into the kitchen as well. I hate wallpaper with a passion.
This is the other side of the dining room with a nice little gas stove. It works great and its gas which I like. I used to love the other ones so much better because you could hear the crackle of the fire but they are messy and this one is not and I just hit a button and it's on. How can you tell I am getting old.
I do still have a large bathroom with a jaccuzzi tub and that also makes me very happy. I don't know how I would get used to such small bathrooms after having such big ones here. Now I don't have to worry about it.
And this is the lovely pink carpet. I am some how going to have to get used to it but it really is going to be hard. I hate it so much I could just cry. Why oh why do people do this kind of thing!!!
This is my kitchen which is kind of a square box. Hummmmm. Not really sure if I like it more than my other one or less.

Carol if you aren't busy, I would gladly take up your offer to help. We are going to peel off all that paper and paint before we move in. Call me!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

The house looks good. And like you I am not that fond of pink. Having 2 homes I moved into with pink curtains. They just had to go. Thankfully I could change the curtains pretty easily. It's a little harder when it's carpet.

I will give you a call.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

You are right the wallpaper is bad, and the carpet is a little nauseating, but the firplace is gorgeous! What about a great big area rug to cover up all that pink?

2:10 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I as well hate wall paper. More than I did this morning, as I've now spent the whole day scraping it off.
People who wallpaper should be dragged out into the street, yelled at, and then made to live in rental properties the rest of their lives, where every wall is painted stark white, and you can't do a thing about it. Idiots and their crappy floral wallpaper.

Peter just brought me a drink, so I should be in better spirits (no pun intended) in just a minute. Just in time to go to bed and go help paint in the morning. I'm glad I could help out though...there's something really satisfying in ripping wallpaper off in big long strips.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, that storm was crazy. Luckily we only lost power for about 4 hours, and had to rescue Kyle's hockey net so it didn't blow away. Your place obviously wasn't so lucky.

Well, the new place is nice!! The fireplaces are GREAT, but I agree, that carpet and wallpaper is atrocious. Luckily you can get rid of it.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Quite a storm. To bad about the tree.

Nice house. I was once one of those idiots who put up wall paper. I only did the bottom half so it should be fairly easy to take off. What do you do about the old hard glue. Is there a special technique to get it off without ruining the wall? I just want to knock out the wall. Marv thinks that might be a bit drastic.

1:18 AM  
Blogger footsack said...

I say just knock out the wall.

If you used proper wallpaper glue, it does come off not too bad. If the wallpaper was the preglued stuff, then its easy. Usually. You have to peel off all the top layer first. If it doesn't come off easily, then wet it. Once you have it all off, the spray down the underneath paper and let it sit for about 5 minuites. You may have to spray it twice. Then just take a scraper and scrape away.
We worked ALL day yesterday until 10 pm but there is no wall paper or borders in my house. Wippeee!!!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

The new house looked wonderful. Sorry I wasn't able to help get off the wall paper. Inge has been here for the past 2 days, as they have been without power. Hopefully there is something else I can help with.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

You can help my mom with her excited exclamations...
Wippee??
I can't tell you how hard I'm laughing right now. I'm actually cheered up enough to come over and help you paint.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been told that the best way to take wall paper off is to spray the wallpaper with a solution of water with a little bit of liquid fabric softener. Once that is soaked in you can scrap it off fairly easily. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but my friend swears by it. I have the ugliest wallpaper in my bedroom that I have ever seen! It is covered in pink flowers and I despise pink!!! I haven't had the time ot remove it though. Hopefully soon.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home